Summer is here, and it’s the perfect time of year to take a family camping trip. Even if you aren’t an expert camper, these 8 tips and tricks will get you through your trip like a seasoned pro.
- Stay Close To Home – If you have little ones who have never been camping before, consider testing things out in the backyard before you set out into the great wide yonder.
- Pack Smart – When you’re ready for a more adventurous setting, make sure to bring layers. Weather can change on a dime when the sun sets or a storm rolls in.
- Stay Hydrated – Freeze gallon jugs of water. You can use them to keep your cooler chilled and drink them as they melt.
- Get Comfy – Pack foam floor tiles to soften the bottom of your tent. Air mattresses also make sleeping bags more comfortable.
- Stay Safe – Watch out for poisonous plants and be sure not to feed local wildlife.
- Start Fires The Easy Way – Bring newspaper scraps or dryer lint to help you get a fire going.
- Protect Against Bugs – Sage and basil are both natural mosquito repellents.
- Pack In, Pack Out. – Make sure you clean up your campsite before you leave. Dispose of any trash or carry out items that can be recycled or need to be disposed of offsite.
Camping is fun for the whole family. It teaches kids self-sufficiency and encourages families to spend time together without electronics or distractions. If you follow these simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the great outdoors! Check you local parks websites for additional information and tips.