It’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing, the weather’s crisp and it’s time to visit the pumpkin patch. There are so many pumpkins to pick from; big ones, small ones, round ones, tall ones, orange ones and oranger ones. The list is endless – how can you possibly pick the right pumpkin? Here are a few tips and tricks to picking the perfect pumpkin for any occasion.
Pumpkin Carving – What time-honored tradition defines Halloween more than pumpkin carving?
- Firm skin, but not too hard
- Sturdy base to sit on
- Light for its size and hollow sounding
Decorating – Your fall décor isn’t complete without a pumpkin or two, or twenty.
- Avoid pumpkins with large defects
- Pick a range of sizes and shapes
- Use some gourds or a hay bale to add variety to your display
Baking – Whether you’re baking a pie or roasting the seeds, these tips will help you pick the perfect pumpkin.
- Smaller pumpkins with dark orange skin
- Still attached to the vine for a fresher pumpkin
- Pick from the “Sugar Pie” pumpkin variety if possible
Pumpkin Smashing – There’s no need to be picky when it comes to these. Sometimes you just need to smash some pumpkins. We don’t need to know the reason.
- Any weight pumpkin you can lift over your head
- Catapult and sledgehammer optional
- Have a smashing good time picking your pumpkin and please smash responsibly
Remember these tips, and you’ll be the smartest picker at the pumpkin patch. Have a happy and safe time this October picking those pumpkins!